Steph's Glass is Half Full

Optimistic (and often pessimistic) raves and rants about the many things that can go wrong with an old house, cats who leave me hairballs each day, a job I love but get burned out with and my wonderful husband who I at times, want to hiss at. Also included are my yays and nays about my travels into the world when performing necessary tasks such as grocery shopping, being thrown together with complete strangers, thrown together with strangers and their strangeness.

Friday, September 12, 2008

What a Day!

Today was very emotional and hectic.

Marty and I are currently taking care of my mom's pets while she and dad are on vacation. NoraNeko is a 20 year old cat. Thursday he was "off"; the type of off when you know the end is very near. I knew if he didn't die in his sleep I would be taking him to work with me in the morning to euthanize him. NoraNeko spent the night in my arms, him sleeping, me staying awake so he would have loving arms around him if he died.

Nora was still alive this morning, barely alive. Everyone at work already knew Nora would be coming in with me. Once I got there I wrapped Nora in a warm soft towel and took him out on the back porch to let him feel the sun on his face and sniff the breeze. He was a three year old stray before finding my mom's home where he then became an indoor kitty. He seemed to enjoy the time we spent outside before I sent him on his way to the Rainbow Bridge.

Right after that my best friend brought her kitty Turbo in to be euthanized. Turbo was thirteen years old, lived who knows how long with a collapsed lung, recently had one eye removed due to an infection that wouldn't clear up, also had liver disease. Turbo was a great cat, he loved being loved and gave back as much as he received.

Then I had to leave work to take my car to the tire shop because the rear tire was suddenly going flat. It took only thirty minutes to fix it and the shop didn't charge me anything. They wouldn't even take my money when I offered to buy the shop doughnuts. The tire had a nail in it, probably picked up in my own driveway where the shoddy house painters are doing repair work.

As soon as I walk in the door at work after the tire fix, I am hit with, "Do you want the good news or the bad"? I opted for the good and was told Bizzy the Vet. Asst. quit. The bad news was that I had to work the closing shift meaning an eleven+ hour day for me and being the lone Asst. for the evening with many dogs to walk for their evening potty break. Fortunately there were not many appointments scheduled for the doctors in the later hours.

Bizzy quitting suddenly means I am working six days a week 10+ hours a day until we hire and train a replacement. School takes the back burner again to meet the job needs. Crap, will I ever be able to finish school?

Emotionally, physically, mentally, I am tired.

But to end this post on a happy note, I give you a joyful photo. This is Havanna, adopted last Christmas. The Christmas season seems like yesterday, but time passes quickly. If you are looking for a gift idea, how about a donation to our kitten rescue? We will notify the recepient of your present with a card and a small cat gift. If you wish to do this, post a reply to this blog and I will answer with where to send your donation.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home