Steph's Glass is Half Full

Optimistic (and often pessimistic) raves and rants about the many things that can go wrong with an old house, cats who leave me hairballs each day, a job I love but get burned out with and my wonderful husband who I at times, want to hiss at. Also included are my yays and nays about my travels into the world when performing necessary tasks such as grocery shopping, being thrown together with complete strangers, thrown together with strangers and their strangeness.

Friday, December 05, 2008

Otter

Our Otter was euthanized today. He lost so much weight the past week and spent a long time trying to get comfortable whenever he laid down. He developed a cold which added to his unease of an abdomen getting larger each day with fluid. It was time to say good-bye to him before he started suffering.

Our "Baby Boy Otter", our "Otter Otter", the names we used when speaking to him the past ten years. During his illness the last week he sometimes had an appetite, but often wouldn't eat unless I hand fed him. I think he liked the private time with me. No matter how ill he felt, Otter always perked up when I arrived home and purred for me as I caressed his face. We will miss our kitty. Maybe someday there will be a cure for FIP.

This is Snickers, Otter's sister. She is healthy, thriving, doing well. Otter developed FIP, she hasn't. FIP is caused by a mutation of a corona virus, a virus that almost all cats are exposed to at sometime in their lives, usually as young kittens. Cats can go forever without any problem but once in awhile the virus mutates causing the FIP. Why some mutate and others do not is unknown and there is no way to predict it. There is also no test available to pinpoint FIP since today's tests only show an exposure to the corona virus.
Goodbye baby boy Otter. You will see Kweedoe, Beaucoup and Riley at the Rainbow Bridge. And remember Magpie? She is there waiting for you. We love you.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home