Steph's Glass is Half Full

Optimistic (and often pessimistic) raves and rants about the many things that can go wrong with an old house, cats who leave me hairballs each day, a job I love but get burned out with and my wonderful husband who I at times, want to hiss at. Also included are my yays and nays about my travels into the world when performing necessary tasks such as grocery shopping, being thrown together with complete strangers, thrown together with strangers and their strangeness.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sir Sara Seuss

This is Sir Sara Seuss. He went to the hospital Tuesday because he was "ADR", (ain't doing right), just wasn't acting himself. His diagnosis was lymphoma. When I visited Sara today he was hooked up to IV fluids and very depressed, showing no life until he heard my voice. Our poor guy was miserable and with lymphoma I saw no benefit in treating him only to prolong his life for a very short time during which he would be in the hospital with no quality of life.

I held Sara for some time today, talking to him, petting him and he snuggled comfortably against me, purring the entire time. I held him close while he was euthanized with my tears falling on his fur. He purred until the very end.

He came to our yard over seven years ago as a stray, very shy at first but quickly began to trust me. The only name he responded to was Sara and since he had no testicles we just assumed he was a female. When I took him in for his "spay" surgery it was "Oops, this is a female cat". Sara had been previously neutered before his life as a stray began. So his name became Sir Sara. The Seuss arrived at the same time because he reminded us of some character Dr. Seuss would dream up. Sir Sara Seuss, oddly the name fit him very well.

We will miss his cartoon like personality and character, his quiet nature and gentle charm. Travel safely to the Rainbow Bridge my Sara. There are family members there waiting to welcome you.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Marty said…

    I'll miss Sir Sara...he was quite a cartoon and a big, lovable soft, kinda crossed eyed, cat friend. m

     

Post a Comment

<< Home