Steph's Glass is Half Full

Optimistic (and often pessimistic) raves and rants about the many things that can go wrong with an old house, cats who leave me hairballs each day, a job I love but get burned out with and my wonderful husband who I at times, want to hiss at. Also included are my yays and nays about my travels into the world when performing necessary tasks such as grocery shopping, being thrown together with complete strangers, thrown together with strangers and their strangeness.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Test is a Very Strong IF

I took the VTNE today (Veterinary Technician National Exam). Passing means I become a Licensed Vet. Tech.

Wow, ow, ouch, the test was hard. My weak areas were cytology and pharmacology and guess what most of the questions were about. I know a lot about dogs and cats but the majority of the questions, when referring to a specific species, were about cows, goats, rodents. I know very little about such species.

I'm sure I failed the exam.

The testing site had tables set out that allowed only two people per table with assigned seating. The woman who sat at my table was very fidgety. When she erased answers she did so with a frenzy that shook the entire table and made my water bottle rock back and forth. It was a multiple choice test with a separate answer sheet and she often had to erase a row of answers because she skipped a number. Every time she flipped through the test book she rocked her elbows back and forth on the table.

Before the test she sat very quietly, no fidgeting, very quiet. I thought, "Oh good, I have a quiet person next to me". Before breaking the seal on the test book we had the opportunity to change seats if we had to, but I had no reason to at that time. Once the test started she exploded with the flopping of the test book, grabbing her water bottle, erasing and rocking on her elbows...all shaking the table. The table where I was trying to concentrate.

Her movements irritated me but I adapted. Whenever she jiggled the table I lifted my arms and just read questions instead of trying to mark my answer sheet. My focus on my own test was pretty good although interrupted at times with her table jiggling.

If I fail this exam I'll try again in June when it's offered again. Can't fail the June test since it's the last time "grandfathering in" is allowed. Grandfathering means someone is eligible to take the exam with five years full time experience. Starting 2010, grandfathering is no longer allowed and to take the exam someone has to have graduated from an accredited Vet. Tech program. I won't meet the graduation requirement.

Ah well, if I fail I'll try again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home